Professional blogger, huh?
You can really make money doing that?
And how much are bloggers making in 2019? (Isn’t blogging dead?)
I can understand if these questions are bouncing around in your brain because they were bouncing around in ours when we started.
And we still get asked these questions a LOT when we tell people we are professional bloggers.
I think that most regular people think of bloggers as people that write on the internet for fun — just a hobby that they do in their spare time.
They don’t think of it as a job or that you can make real money blogging.
To strangers, blogging sounds like a hobby. To friends and family, it sounds like unemployment.
After a whole year of being full-time bloggers and even beginning to travel the world, one of my family members asked Lauren and myself when we were quitting the whole blogging thing and “getting a real job.”
I could have been offended… But I just chuckled a bit.
Because she doesn’t really get it.
She doesn’t get that being a professional blogger has some seriously insane perks:
- Setting your own schedule and working whenever you want
- Working from wherever you want (we’ve traveled the world while still working!) #digitalnomadlife (Lauren’s Instagram proves that)
- Control over your income (a chance to scale your income to six or seven figures)
- It will challenge you and enable you to learn tons of new skills, including how to run and manage your own business.
- It will make you a better writer, which has been proven to make you a better thinker.
Table of Contents
And most importantly… It’s FUN!
It allows you to wake up and work on building something that you love — something that is your own.
I’ve run my own private personal training practice, been a bouncer at one of the hottest bars in Dallas, TX, and worked at a company that restores Black Hawk helicopters.
And none of those can hold a candle to my career as a professional blogger.
Right now, I want to address a few questions that you’re probably thinking…
Well, it varies.
- Some make $0 per month.
- Some make $1,000 or more per month.
- Some make $10,000 or more per month.
- Some have managed to make over $100,000 per month.
Lauren and I are currently making over $100,000 per month blogging, believe it or not.
First, we took our health and wellness blog, Avocadu, to earning six figures per year. Then, we took this blog, Create and Go, to earning seven figures per year.
You can see the proof in our blog income reports:
$130,061.20Check Out The Report
Pretty crazy, right??
We publish our blogging income never to brag and only to inspire and show you what is possible.
It’s not just us! Here are some other examples of successful blogs in other niches:
- Smart Passive Income – Pat Flynn is currently making well over $100,000 per month.
- Pinch of Yum – Recipe blog raking in over $50,000 per month
- Making Sense of Cents – Michelle, the founder, is also making over $100,000 per month
- Survival Life – This blog makes over $1,000,000 per month *jaw hits the floor*
- Learning Herbs – Makes a whopping $20,000 per month blogging about herbs
For all of you preferred video learners out there, here is a video of how much do bloggers make from our YouTube Channel below.
Well, folks, that’s kind of like asking: “What do businesses make on average?”
- Most make nothing.
- Some make a little.
- Fewer make a lot.
I know, that’s pretty vague, right. But blogging is a business, so it’s a pretty general question.
It really depends on a few factors that boil down to how much you’re putting into your blog.
Just like with any business, a blog’s success depends on how hard you work and what exactly you’re putting into it (i.e. taking the right steps for growth).
In the blogging world, these factors are super important and the key to growth and success:
- How well you communicate with your audience — Building an email list is at the foundation of most winning bloggers, but it’s not just about turning readers into subscribers. It’s about turning those subscribers into loyal FANS.
- The level of trust you build with your audience — This trust from your fans is what ultimately leads people to spend money on your products.
- Execution — Perhaps the most important part is your ability to continue moving forward and taking action when it is necessary.
And the insanely cool part about blogging is you can make great money in almost any niche.
Hell, the guy from Learning Herbs teaches you how to use and consume the weeds and in your yard and makes over 20k per month.
Here is another question that we hear a lot:
Not all posts directly bring in revenue. They can have various purposes, including:
- Selling a product
- Signing up for an email list
- Purely instructional
- Building more trust with your audience
There IS such a thing as getting paid for a specific blog post though, and it’s called a sponsored post.
Sponsored posts are posts in which someone pays you to write a specific piece of content and put it on your blog. Common examples are product reviews or recommendations.
How much you get paid per post depends largely on the size of your audience and the level of engagement the audience has with your content.
So, you can have 100,000 visitors to your blog but if you don’t get people commenting on your content or interacting with it much, you probably won’t get paid as much.
That being said, bloggers can make from $100 to $25,000 per sponsored post. $25,000 is the highest amount of any blogger I have personally known.
For those of you who are Instagram influencers, you can make from $50 to $50,000 per post.
Kim Kardashian has even made over $400,000 for a single Instagram post. (I know, it hurts my soul to even type that out).
Which leads me to another question…
Generally, blogs niches about making an income make more than others because the average market price for the products is higher.
This is because people are usually more likely to spend more money when they think they’ll make it back.
- Making money
- Spending money
- Saving money
- Investing money
Soooooo, you’re saying I should blog about making money then???
NO! This is where a lot of bloggers make a big mistake.
You should NEVER blog on a topic that you know nothing about or have any experience in. Period.
I can’t tell you how many “personal finance” blogs I have seen where people running the blog have no idea what they are talking about.
There are thousands of blogs that don’t produce any real money because the owner isn’t a professional, has no real passion for the niche, or isn’t knowledgeable enough on the topic.
There are a lot of people blogging about blogging and teaching others how to make money before they’ve ever made any money themselves.
Pro Tip: People can tell when you’re talking out of your ass.
Your readers, who believe it or not are real people, are going to see right through you. It will show in your writing and your audience won’t be as engaged with your content.
It’s much smarter to just start in something you really care about and make it successful along the way. You will also enjoy it SO much more!
First of all… I think if a personal trainer and a tax accountant can crush a blogging business in a year, I’m sure you can too!
Again, I’ve seen people succeed in some crazy markets with no prior experience running a blog.
But a lot of blogs do fail, of course. Here are some of the main reasons why:
- Expecting a ton of results without upfront investment. Blogging is not a get rich quick scheme that requires no investment of time or money. If you want your blog to be a business, treat it like one.
- Talking without experience. “Talking out of your ass,” really. Don’t blog about topics you don’t have existing knowledge and experience in. Just don’t.
- Not taking action. A lot of people take some action but then sit around and wait for results. Successful blogs are built on trial and error. Failure can be a good thing if you learn fast and change course quickly.
BUT you’re in the right place if you want to learn how to take the right steps to build a successful blog!
It comes down to just a few things, these being some of the important, in my opinion:
- Great content. If you write REALLY great content that provides a lot of value to your audience, you can’t go wrong.
- Focused strategy. As a blogger, you have to wear a lot of hats and learn a lot of new skills in a lot of different areas. It’s important to stay focused on the right tasks at the right time to grow your blog AND be as successful as you can be with it.
Just to wrap up this lesson on how much bloggers make… I’d like to leave you with a few parting words.
I think the focus on content consumption in our society has turned us into a bunch of over-thinkers who take little to no action.
We think we know it all without ever actually trying anything.
This is my challenge to you: Think less, and act more.
For some of you, this mean’s starting right now.
If you enjoyed this article on the topic of how much do bloggers make, please leave us a comment below or feel free to ask us any questions!
Alex has been a professional blogger since 2016. With a business degree and the expertise he has attained over time, he has grown two blogs to 6 and 7 figures, Avocadu and Create and Go. He’s an entrepreneurial adventure junkie who loves to teach bloggers how to achieve success. Read his inspiring story on how he went from broke and frustrated to $100k/month blogging in 3 years.